Social Icons facebook Twitter YouTube Kanal Instagram

Internationally oriented study courses

Bielefeld University offers internationally oriented degree programmes: study programmes with double degree options; courses preparing for jobs in an international environment; English-language master programmes as well as master programmes with International Tracks.

Study programmes are international cooperation programmes studied within a degree programme that allow the achievement of double degrees or joint-degrees: students complete part of their degree at Bielefeld University and part at one or various partner universities.

The degree programmes "Deutsch als Fremd- und Zweitsprache [German as a second language]" and "Deutsch als Fremdsprache und Germanistik [German as a Foreign Language and German Studies]" prepare for jobs in an international environment.

An International Track is the English-language branch of a German-language degree programme. In International Tracks, the entire degree programme can be studied in English and does not require the knowledge of the German language.

English-language master programmes can only be studied in English. These degree programmes are not available in German.


Double Degrees:

There are neither International Tracks nor English-language programmes for Bachelor degrees at Bielefeld University.


English-language programmes and International Tracks (no knowledge of German required):

Other master programmes:

  • MA British and American Studies
    Requirements German: Goethe certificate B1/TestDaF (at least 3 partial tests TDN 3)
    Requirements English: English-speaking degree/TOEFL-Test (iBT) minimum of 93 points;(pBT) minimum of 580 points)/UNIcert: level III and IV/IELTS Academic Module, Band 7.0 or higher/CPE Examination (A, B or C)/CAE Examination (A or B)
    How to apply
    About the programme
    Further information about the programme
  • MA German as a Foreign Language and German Studies
    Language Requirements: Proficient knowledge of two foreign languages, one being English, through classes (graded "ausreichend" or better, totalling two years in upper secondary education or three years in lower secondary level, if classes include 10th grade or higher) or participation in language practice courses within or out of university (at least 8 weekly semester hours or 120 class hours)
    For applicants with entrance qualifications from a non-German-speaking institution, German is considered as one of the two foreign languages. (German language skills verified according to Bielefeld University's regulations, certificate "PrŘfung Deutsche Wissenschaftssprache/PDW")
    How to apply
    Further information about the programme
  • MA History, Economics and Philosophy of Science
    Language Requirements: Qualifying degree from a German-speaking institution and English skills level B2 or qualifying degree from an English-speaking institution/certificate level C1 and German skills level B1
    Knowledge of the German language may be acquired over the course of study
    How to apply
    About the programme
    Further information about the programme
  • MA Inter-American Studies
    Requirements German: Qualifying degree from a German-speaking institution/TestDaF level 3
    Knowledge of the German language may be acquired over the course of study
    Requirements English/Spanish: Qualifying degree from an anglophone or hispanic institution/aptitude test/ Certificate "Sprache und Kultur der Iberoromania [Iberian Romance language and culture]" of Bielefeld University's Faculty of Linguistics and Literary Studies
    How to apply
    About the programme
    Further information about the programme

Double Degrees

Degree-seeking Student?

Find all the information you need in our Download-Center

All programmes:

pfeil áReturn to previous page

Study fees for international students?

Policymakers in NRW are currently discussing whether to introduce study fees for certain groups of international students.

Up to now, however, there is neither a corresponding law nor any draft legislation.

-> more...


Do you have any questions?
We can help.
personensuche-Icon Contact us
Or find us on -> Facebook

International Summer German Courses

Do you already know the international Summer German Courses at Bielefeld University? They take place every August and you can choose among different language levels and themes.
Get more information on the
-> Summer German Courses.