Bielefeld Center for Data Science
Data science is an interdisciplinary and holistic approach that aims at turning data into knowledge and value. It includes
- the extraction, preparation, exploration, transformation, storage and retrieval of quantitative (“structured”) and qualitative (“unstructured”) data
as well as
- the explanation, interpretation and exploitation of results using techniques from
- statistics, computer science and a wide range of application areas.
In addition, data science focuses on the (further) development of new methods and competencies as well as on research data management and data security.
Data Science-"Life Cycle"
Bielefeld Center for Data Science (BiCDaS) is a university-wide initiative encompassing a wide range of disciplines interested in data science. It combines existing expertise in
- statistics, machine learning and research data management
as well as in application areas such as (in alpha order)
- biology, business administration, computer science, data management, economics, information technology, digital humanities, law, librarianship, linguistics, physics, psychology, public health and sociology
in order to turn quantitative (“structured”) and qualitative (“unstructured”) data into knowledge and value.
The center acts as a focal point for researchers and students who enjoy the profound exchange on new challenges and solutions in data science.
Key Elements of BiCDaS
First Data Science Lecture
On Friday, October 19th Prof. Fuchs will start this years Data Science lecture series.
Lecture Series Data Science
This winter term BiCDaS again offers a lecture series on Data Science.
Data Science Master Program
Application for the newly established Master Program on Data Science is now open.
Data Science Day 2018
On May 23rd the first Data Science Day at Bielefeld University will take place
Data Science @ RCM²-Colloquium
On Wednesday 2nd of May Scott Balchin (Warwick/Sheffield) will give a Data Science-related talk in the RCM² colloquium.
BiCDaS member Prof. Ellen Baake has been elected to the board of the European Society for Mathematical and Theoretical Biology (ESMTB). Congratulations!
Date: March 19th - 21th, 2018
Place: ZiF, Bielefeld University
Aim: This years Symposium will be about BigData. BiCDaS is co-organiser.
Final Lecture online
All the recordings of our lecture series on Data Science are now online.
BiCDaS in the Media
Recently BiCDaS and the future master degree course on Data Science a Bielefeld University were covered in an article by Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ).
The article can be found here.
Fifth Lecture online
The fifth lecture of our lecture series on Data Science in online.