Social Icons facebook Twitter YouTube Kanal Instagram

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

General Enquiries

+ I would like to get some advice on spending a semester abroad in general.

Without appointment you can visit us during our office hours.
By E-Mail you can contact us as well. Furthermore you can attend our information sessions on all about „go abroad” (Study, Internship, Erasmus). The dates of sessions are found on our posters and in eKVV, Internationales in Studium und Lehre

+ I am looking for an Internship abroad.

It is possible to find an internship by your own initiative or through an organisation / private agency. There are some faculties providing information on internship for their students. Please see here for further information.


+ I need a transcript in English.

Please download the documents „Informationen zum Transkript” and „Transkript (Word)” (both in German) from „Allgemeine Dokumente” in Downloads.

+ How can I prepare my application well in English?

We offer „Bewerbungsworkshop Englisch (Workshop for Application in English)” during the semester. At the workshop you will be prepared for written applications (Cover Letter and CV) as well as for interviews (telephone interview).
For further information and/or to apply for the workshop, please contact us by E-Mail.


+ Do I have to pay the semester fee during my stay abroad?

You can take a leave of absence during your stay abroad. More information is available at Studierendensekretariat.

+ How can I organise the funding for my study / internship abroad?

Please see the general Information regarding funding here. Information on the scholarships offered at International Office is available here (Stipendienbroschüre) (in German). The information for internships in Europe is available here.

+ When are the application deadlines of scholarships at International Office?

  • 15.01.:
    Internship, research, thesis during the period from 01.02. to 31.07.
  • 31.05.:
    Study, internship, research, thesis, language course during the period from 01.07. to 28.02.
  • 31.10.:
    Study, internship, research, thesis, language course during the period from 01.01. to 31.07.

Before you leave

Recognition of academic credit points gained abroad at Bielefeld University

+ How can I transfer the credit points that I gain(ed) abroad to Bielefeld University?

The International Office is not responsible for recognition of academic credit points. You have to apply for the recognition of your credit points with the recognition officer („der/die Anrechnungsbeauftragte”). More information is available here (in German).
Please see also the relevant information at „Before you travel” and „After Your Return”.

After you are back

+ How could my experience abroad benefit other students?

You can engage yourself as Country Ambassador for Bielefeld students. Please see more about the program here (in German).
Additionally, there is another program you can join and be a mentor for international students at Bielefeld University. More information on „International Mentoring Programme” is available here.


Do you have any questions?
We can help.
personensuche-Icon Our Team

Exchange cooperations

Look for worldwide exchange cooperations.


Find documents and brochures in our -> Download Area.