Faculty of Technology at Bielefeld University, Germany, and the Fraunhofer Institute of Optronics, System Technologies and Image Exploitation (IOSB) invite applications for a
Full Professorship (W3) in Cooperative Robotics with a focus on Automation in Production
Head of the department for Cognitive Automation Technology at Fraunhofer IOSB, subdivision IOSB-INA at Lemgo.
IOSB-INA offers innovative hardware and software solutions in the areas
industrial internet, intelligent automation and usability of technical
systems. Networking, analysis and monitoring as well as the
user-friendly design of technical systems in connection with practical
knowledge in automation are its core competences.
The successful candidate is an internationally visible expert in robotics with exceptional qualifications in research and teaching. Substential research experiences proving the ability to establish a line of research in the area of cooperative robotics with a focus on automation in production are expected.
The position’s main focus is the innovation of new methods and algorithms dealing with the challenges posed by heterogeneous teams of robots with different capabilities supporting and assisting humans with production processes. The distributed synchronization of these teams, the skill acquisition of robots cooperating with humans and the dynamic planning and reconfiguration of automated processes under uncertainty as well as the modulation of the various team members are important technical and scientific challenges to be addressed.
Research might focus on the following topics:
- Methods and architectures for control and synchronization of multiple autonomous agents, especially robots, in cooperation with human actors
- Evaluation and research on anthropometric, ergonomic and cognitive aspects of human-robot cooperation
- Methods and procedures supporting the skill acquisition of robots cooperating with humans (e.g., limitation learning, tutoring, …)
- Methods and algorithms for distributed planning of complex tasks for heterogeneous teams
- Algorithms for controlling robots with a focus on active and passive flexibility of elastic actors
- Methods for designing safety within human-robot interaction especially for cooperative manipulation
- Wearable robotics and exoskeletons.
We expect experiences in leading research projects, especially collaborative projects, and the ability to raise substantial funds on national and international level. Ideally, the candidate already collaborated with partners from industry.
Requirements for the professorship are a university degree in a relevant field, didactic aptitude, an outstanding dissertation, and further academic achievements. These will be evaluated exclusively and comprehensively in the appointment procedure (§ 36 Higher Education Act [HG]).
Projects of high practical relevance paired with huge freedom of designing your research are expecting you. Bielefeld University and Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft are committed to a family-friendly research and teaching environment. They offer flexible working hours and support in reconciling profession and family to their employees.
Bielefeld University and Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft aim at increasing the number of women in research and teaching and expressly invite applications of suitably qualified female scientists.
Applicants with a degree of disability of at least 50% will be preferred for employment in case of equal aptitude.
Applications should include:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Copies of diplomas
- List of publications and presentations, highlighting the most important papers
- Meaningful presentation of previous research
- Teaching concept
- Two-page document detailing the candidate’s plans for research
Dekan der Technischen Fakultät
Prof. Dr. Markus Nebel
Postfach 10 01 31
Institutsleiter des Fraunhofer IOSB
Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Jürgen Beyerer