Current information

General information of the university

© Universität Bielefeld

All official information on the current status, regulations concerning the coronavirus and links to other support pages can be found on the following website:

Information on the service situation of the Student Office

We ask for your understanding that from now on and until further notice personal visits to the service units (e.g. Student Office, Examination Office, Info Point, ZSB etc.) are no longer possible, so that questions and concerns can only be answered by e-mail or via our service hotline +49 521 106 66 66.

All applications, forms and other documents can be sent to us as usual by post or fax. Provided that the original is submitted subsequently, the Student Office also accepts the submission of signed documents by email in particularly urgent cases until further notice. If it is not possible to certify your documents at the moment, you can submit a copy to the Student Office until further notice - and only if the original is submitted later.

Please understand that there may be delays in the processing of your requests by the Student Office.

Notes on Unicard and the semester ticket

Bielefeld University has decided by e-mail from the Rector today that personal visits to the service facilities are no longer possible until further notice. This also includes the info point where you can regularly pick up and validate your UniCard.

If you have not yet picked up your UniCard, it will be validated and sent to you by post. However, this can only be done once you have taken the necessary steps to issue the UniCard (photo upload). Please be a little patient afterwards.

It has been agreed with the public transport companies that the semester ticket can be replaced by presenting the NRW ticket and an identity card. You can still print out the NRW-Ticket yourself.

Deadline for changing study courses: Important notes

The deadline e.g. for the transfer to a Master's programme has been extended for the summer semester 2020 until 31.05.2020. If the last examination performance is the Bachelor thesis and this has not been assessed by the end of the deadline due to the current situation, please clarify with the responsible examination office in good time whether a so-called 4.0 certificate can be issued. This will enable the transfer to take place. The Bachelor certificate can be submitted later.

Emergency childcare for single parents

By decision of the state government, schools and daycare facilities for children have been closed since Monday, 16 March 2020. From 27 April 2020, children of single parents can be admitted to emergency groups. This applies to single parents who are employed or who are in the process of taking their final exams as part of a school or university education. The ordinance on protection against new infections with the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 in the area of care infrastructure can be found here (in german).

Current information provided by the city administration of Bielefeld on the subject of emergency childcare can be found here (in german). Those who already have a confirmation dated 16 March or later don’t need a new one. If your child is in daycare in a different city, please ask there first if a special form is required. If that is not the case you can use the neutral template below:

The following assumptions are made for the fulfilment of the eligibility requirements for single parents:

  • For all students: You’re enrolled at Bielefeld University for the current summer semester as a regular student (“Haupthörer”) and are not on leave of absence for the current summer semester,
  • For BA students: You’re entitled if you are at least in the fifth semester* in the SoSe 2020,
  • For MA students: You’re entitled if you are at least in the third semester* in the SoSe 2020,
  • For state examination students: You’re entitled if you are at least in the ninth semester* in the SoSe 2020.
  • PhD students about to submit their dissertation or disputation should contact the relevant doctoral committee of the faculty to get their certificate issued.

* The number of semesters refers to the degree program you’re currently enrolled in (“Fachsemester”), not your university semesters.

Pre-studying and preliminary enrolment in a Master’s program

The possibility of pre-study has been extended for all Master's programs without admission restrictions. You can find more information here (in german).

Especially in the case of Master's programs with restricted admissions, provisional enrolment is possible for particularly important reasons. This is the case if the following conditions are fulfilled:

  1. an admission for the summer semester 2020 was granted and
  2. a certificate issued by the examination office (Prüfungsamt) is present, declaring that, in the case of a regular course of study, the degree would in all likelihood have been achieved by 15 May 2020, and the only reason it was not achieved by then was because of corona-related exam cancellations in March 2020 or later.

The above mentioned certificates can be submitted to the Student Office (Studierendensekretariat) together with the usual documents for enrollment/registration until 31 May 2020.

For re-registration for the winter semester 2020/21, you must prove successful completion of your Bachelor's degree. To avoid paying a late fee, please pay the semester fee for re-registration in due time. You can then provide proof of your degree until 15 November 2020. The re-registration will only be carried out after you have provided proof of your degree.

Leave of absence due to an economic emergency

In deviation from the enrolment regulations, a leave of absence due to economic hardship can also be granted if a leave of absence due to economic hardship has already been granted in the previous semester. The application for leave of absence for the summer semester 2020 can be submitted to the Student Office (Studierendensekretariat) until 31 May 2020.

Financial and social emergency

In special cases, especially in case of financial and social hardship, students can apply not to pay the semester fee for the summer semester 2020 if they complete their studies on schedule in the summer semester 2020. Students are then nevertheless entitled to take examinations in the summer semester 2020. They are managed by the Student Office (Studierendensekretariat) in the same way as registered students.

This means that the basic requirements for enrolment must still be met. Students will receive the usual semester certificate for the summer semester 2020. In case of a later de-registration, the summer semester 2020 will be listed like a regular semester in the presentation of the course of studies.

If you have already re-registered for the summer semester 2020 by paying the semester fee and are making use of this option, please inform us of this when you apply.

Please contact the Student Office (Studierendensekretariat) by 31 May 2020 and submit the following documents as proof of your financial and social emergency:

  • Proof of the scheduled completion of studies in the summer semester 2020 (confirmation from the examination office)
  • Bank statements of the last three months
  • a written declaration describing your financial and social situation and, and proof thereof if possible