Returning to your home country
Before you leave Bielefeld and Germany, there are a few points that you should consider:
- Give notice on your apartment (in writing!) at least 3 months before you move out.
- Make an appointment with your landlord to hand over the apartment and keys.
- Tip : Take a German-speaking colleague or friend with you to this meeting
- Tip : At the meeting, agree when and how your security deposit is to be transferred → Owners can keep part of the deposit up to 12 months after the end of the year to cover any outstanding utility and other charges!
- Read your water, electricity and gas meters and send your readings to the supplier together with your notice of cancellation. Inform the suppliers of your new home address.
- Notify your statutory health insurance provider about your departure. Cancel any private health insurance and other insurances (e.g. third-party liability, accident insurance). Give the providers your new home address.
- Please let us know your date of departure from Bielefeld and Germany, as well as your new contact details so that we can continue to reach you in the future (if necessary).
- Give notice on any cable television and/or German telephone contracts and any other subscriptions you may have taken out during your stay in Bielefeld (e.g. magazines, memberships of sports clubs / gyms etc.)
- Make an appointment with the Deutsche Rentenversicherung Bielefeld and inform them about your leaving Germany. Have them inform you about the pension contributions you have made and your options regarding these.
further information can be found here
- Inform the VBL about your departure from Germany. Have them inform you about your pension contributions and your options regarding the supplementary pension: https://www.vbl.de/
For doctoral students:
- De-register in the Bielefeld University Student Registration Offices (Studierendensekretariat).
7 days before departure:
- Return books on loan to the University library
- Hand in your keys to the research group
- Have any remaining credit paid out from the UniCard (Studierendenwerk)
- Close your current account at the bank as soon as you no longer need it
- De-register your official address at the Bielefeld Town Hall
- Cancel your broadcasting licence (Rundfunkbeitrag). To do this, upload the de-registration confirmation from the Bielefeld Town Hall using the following link
- Join the Bielefeld University graduate network as an alumni by sending an E-Mail to: email@example.com
- Let us know if you were satisfied with your apartment in Bielefeld by giving us brief information so that we can advise new researcher arrivals in finding accommodation.
We wish you and your family all the best!