skip breadcrumb navigation to main content
  • Come In

    © Universität Bielefeld

Students in Cooperation Programmes


Information Sheet for Erasmus/Cooperation Programs:

© Universität Bielefeld

The EU established the ERASMUS Programme in 1987 to increase the mobility of European students, to strengthen the cooperation between European universities, and so further the integration of Europe.

All Bielefeld faculties maintain ERASMUS+ Cooperations with various European partner institutions. In addition to that, the Faculty of Sociology participates in the ERASMUS+ programme Mobility with Partner Countries beyond Europe. Find further information about Mobility beyond Europe.

Non-degree cooperation students - in contrast to international students applying for a degree program - do not have to apply handing in all certificates and the language test "DSH" (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang) or TestDaF. The application procedure is less complicated for them.

However, they have to be officially nominated. Therefore ERASMUS Coordinators at the home university are asked to send a nomination mail with the students' data to Bielefeld University's International Office. Following the nomination, students will receive an email from us with the request to complete the online-registration. In the online-portal the registration will be explained and students will find all necessary information (e.g. on housing, the orientation programme and intensive German language course, and application).

Enrolment/registration as a student (Einschreibung/Immatrikulation) will be arranged after your arrival in Bielefeld.
The enrolment takes place at the beginning of the orientation programme offered for ERASMUS/cooperation students every term. For enrolment students need to present a valid health insurance (LINK SETZEN!!).
About a week after registration you will receive a datasheet, the socalled "Leporello" with certificates of admission ("Immatrikulationsbescheinigungen") and your personal email-password. With an "Immatrikulationsbescheinigung" you can apply for your matriculation card ("Studentenausweis") at the "Zentrale Leihstelle". The Studentenausweis is also for use of the library and the "Semesterticket" for public transport. You will also need it to obtain an International Students Identity Card (ISIC), and apart from this, it is also valid for a number of reductions f.ex. for cinema and theatre tickets.
Please note: Exchange/Cooperation students who decide to prolong their stay and take the final exams at Bielefeld University are obliged to re-apply as degree students and then have to provide TestDaF or pass the DSH.

Students who are officially nominated by their home university coordinators to the International Office of Bielefeld University will receive a mail with information in regard to the online registration.

We send out letters of admission a few weeks after having received the printout of the online registration, i.e. application of admission (Antrag auf Zulassung).

For more information please see the Information Sheet for Erasmus/Cooperation Programs:

  1. Get a proof of health insurance , e.g. European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
  • If you need a visa: Apply for a study visa at the German embassy or consulate general in your home country as soon as you have received your ‘Zulassungsbescheid’ (letter of admission). In this case you also need to bring a proof of sufficient financial means (e.g. scholarship letter or bank statement).
  • Have passport photos taken.


For enrolment at the University of Bielefeld please bring: a proof of your health insurance, semester fee, a copy of your passport and of your visa (if applicable).

About a week after your enrolment, you will receive a datasheet by mail (the so-called ‘Leporello’) with registration certificates ( ‘Immatrikulationsbescheinigung’). Use this to get your student card from the ‘Zentrale Leihstelle’ (room A1 − 151).

Register with the city authorities (Bürgerbüro, Neues Rathaus).

Students, who have a visa, also need to apply for a study permit after they are enrolled at the university and registered with the city. For a study permit they need a proof of financial means and a biometric ID photo.

To help to get know the region as well as people in your new surroundings, the International Office organizes a number of social events and excursions. Several trips for one or more days to cities in the area or in other parts of Germany are offered each semester, as well as film and other festivals.Check all of our Campus Activities.

Further Information