skip to main contentskip to main menuskip to footer Universität Bielefeld Play


Informationen zu Studium und Lehre im Zusammenhang mit dem Coronavirus

Zwei Studentinnen mit Alltagsmasken an Arbeitsplätzen in der Bibliothek
© Universität Bielefeld

Studying in the winter semester 2021/22

The most important current regulations:

  • The university is fully open again, also for the general public. Registration at the entrances is no longer necessary
  • In the buildings and on the campus: maintain a social distance of 1.5 m. Masks are compulsory in the public circulation areas in the buildings, in face-to-face lectures (exception: vaccinated or recovered lecturers if they keep a 1.5 m distance), during examinations and at all student workplaces and the library.
  • In the winter semester 2021/202, teaching and examinations will take place predominantly onsite while taking the 3G rule into account. Large-scale lectures and seminars will continue to be held primarily digitally or in hybrid form.
  • In the University library (UB), Main University Hall, and other places in the university, workstations can once more be used on a large scale (but only by students of Bielefeld University). A booking is still necessary in the UB.
  • Individual service and advice centres (e.g., the Infopunkt, the Central Student Advisory Service, the Student Office, or the examination offices) are once again available with a personal service on campus. Please refer to the respective websites for opening hours and conditions of use.
  • Information on library use can be found here:

This page is constantly updated.

The most important thing that needs to be said first: we are returning to predominantly face-to-face teaching while taking into account the so called 3G rule. Nonetheless, implementation is still limited in this winter semester by the available spatial resources. In our opinion, it is not yet justifiable to use the lecture halls and seminar rooms to the same extent as that before the pandemic.

Adopting this practice in the winter semester represents an intermediate stage in which we want to implement as much onsite activity as possible under the still given circumstances without neglecting the protection of health. We then want to return to regular operation in the summer semester of 2022.

It will continue to be held to verify 3G status (vaccinated, recovered, tested) of course participants. What's new is that 3G status is now required in the university library and computer labs, as well as at all counseling and service centers (e.g. Student Counselling Services, examination offices, student offices).
In addition to this, 2G (only vaccinated or recovered) is required for all practical sport courses and university sports activities.


For the 3G check, participants must provide proof of immunity (vaccinated or recovered status) or a negative Coronavirus rapid test result to attend an event held in person. An official identification document (with photo) must also be presented.

In order to reduce the additional time and effort required of instructors to perform the 3G check during the Winter Semester, Bielefeld University will allocate special staff to carry out this check at entrances to lecture halls, large seminar rooms, and building units with multiple seminar rooms. For courses held in smaller seminar rooms with seating for up to 35 attendees, instructors (or other authorized individuals) will perform the 3G check themselves. 

To ensure that the 3G check goes as quickly as possible, Bielefeld University has standardized the procedure as follows:

  1. You must verify your proof of immunity (vaccinated, recovered) in advance at the campus testing center in Building X. A special office has been set up there where students who are vaccinated will receive a special red sticker with a university seal on the back of their Uni Card (student ID). This sticker only needs to be obtained once and will be valid for as long as these regulations are in force (until the end of the semester, 31 March 2022, at the latest). If you have not yet received your Uni Card by post, the sticker can also be attached to a copy of your identity card.
  2. Getting this sticker to verify your proof of immunity at the campus testing center is possible starting on the 4th of October. Please get this done as soon as possible. Otherwise, be prepared for long waiting times at the inspection office (“Kontrollstelle”). To register, bring proof of your vaccination (digital or paper form) or proof of recovery along with your Uni Card student ID. Opening times for inspection are Monday – Fridays from 7am – 3pm and Saturdays from 10am – 4pm. The Student Union will also use this sticker system to control admission to the cafeteria.
  3. Those who are not vaccinated (or those who do not want to disclose their immunity status) can get tested at the campus testing center and will receive a special green sticker with a university seal on their Uni Card student IDs if the test result is negative. This sticker has an expiration date and will only be accepted during a time period of up to 24 hours. This means that students who are not vaccinated or recovered (or decline to disclose their status) must regularly go to the campus testing center to get a new green sticker if they want to attend classes in person. Such students can get tested at any official testing center, but to get the green sticker, they will have to go to the campus testing center each time to have their test result verified. People who have recovered but not been vaccinated also receive a green sticker with an expiry date. If you have not yet received your Uni Card by post, the sticker can also be attached to a copy of your identity card.
  4. To enter a seminar room/lecture hall, all students are required to show their Uni Card with the sticker on it. Please be aware that in order to avoid unnecessary delays during the 3G check, only Uni Cards (or copy of the identity card) with stickers (red – vaccinated or recovered; green – recent negative test)  will be accepted. Even if you can show proof of vaccination, recovery or testing at the door, you will not be allowed to enter the room without the respective sticker on your Uni Card.
  5. Our goal is to speed up the process of the 3G check for entering classrooms with these standardized measures. That said, certain delays are to be expected and we therefore ask for you to plan accordingly and be prompt in arriving at your courses and exams.
  6. If there is a line at the entrance to your lecture hall or seminar room, we ask that you make sure to maintain social distancing to your fellow students. Wearing a medical-grade mask is mandatory here, as well as in all other areas of public traffic in university buildings.
  7. You may also use your Uni Card for public transportation or to pay in the university cafeteria. Do you have a problem with the sticker being visible? For those who are interested, the campus testing center will provide you with a free cover for your Uni Card card, which is transparent only on the front side (while stocks last). This will allow you to show your card in the train or use it to pay in the cafeteria without disclosing your immunity/testing status.



If you have not been vaccinated for or have not recovered from the coronavirus you must present a current negative test each time you participate in a course.  

Those who cannot be vaccinated for health reasons will still be able to be tested free of charge at any test centre upon presentation of a medical certificate. 

Students who have not been fully vaccinated by the start of the semester can take advantage of a service provided by the university for the interim period before full immunization. After a first vaccination (until 31 Oktober), test costs will be covered until immunization (until 23 Dezember 2021). The prerequisite for this is that testing must be carried out in the test centre on campus (Building X). Students must present their vaccination card (digital or yellow booklet) as proof of vaccination. 

In addition to the requirement to comply with minimum social distancing requirements in university buildings, there is also a general requirement for in-person lectures, examinations, and at all student workstations as well as in the library. This mask mandate is effective immediately.

Exceptions to the mask requirement exist only for those who have a medical certificate exempting them from wearing one; those taking place in practical sports courses; during laboratory work, during music courses, and for instructors teaching their courses, provided that they maintain at least 1.5 meters of social distancing.

In the lecture halls, one half of the available seats are available for use following a chessboard pattern. In the seminar rooms, only as many participants are allowed as there are regular seats available. Large-scale lectures and seminars will therefore be held primarily digitally or in hybrid form, meaning that some participants onsite must alternate with others participating digitally. In particular, smaller seminars, practical courses, and comparable dialogue-oriented course formats will be held onsite. 

The university has equipped the seminar rooms with air purification devices. The lecture halls have ventilation systems.

We also urge you to continue to register for courses using the QR code at your seat. This will enable us to inform you quickly and easily should a case of coronavirus occur. Hence, registration means more security for everyone. Nonetheless, attendance documentation is no longer obligatory in courses.

The University library has returned to regular opening hours. However, it is still necessary to book library workstations. Due to the social distancing rule, the library is still unable to free all workstations. Currently, use of the University library is possible without proof of 3G (vaccination, recovery, testing). Nonetheless, medical mouth to nose cover must still be worn in public circulation areas and between bookshelves. Masks can be removed at workstations. Further information can be found on the University library website.


The workstations in the main university hall can be used as long as students comply with the mask requirement. Workstations for students are also available in the faculties and some central seminar rooms. Registration is no longer required here. More information on learning locations can be found here.


We respectfully ask you to read the following: 

Many of you will unfortunately have to switch between onsite courses and digital provisions. Please show solidarity. Use the workstations in the university only if absolutely necessary. If it is possible for you to follow digital lectures/seminars at home, please do so. This will make workstations in the university available to students who are not able to switch to home office.

Current information on how coronavirus measures affect the following topics can be found on the page below:

  • Academic credits and examinations
  • Seminars
  • Degrees and theses
  • Transition from Bachelor to Master studies
  • Internships

➔ Coronavirus - Study courses and credits

In general, persons with symptoms of respiratory illness (unless otherwise cleared by a physician) or fever are not permitted on the university grounds.

If you as a student test positive for the coronavirus and have participated in university courses or used one of the student workstations at the university up to four days before either the positive test or the onset of symptoms, you must inform the university immediately. Please contact the responsible lecturers, deans of studies, or course managers, and report by e-mail to

To ensure that contact persons can be identified, it is important to report the course attended (preferably with the course registration number) or explain clearly at which workplace the infected person was located on what day and at which time.

After recovering from an infection or testing positive, persons may not enter the university buildings for at least 14 days (from the date of the test). This applies independently from any existing official quarantine order by the public health authorities or the automatic quarantine measures specified in the quarantine regulation of 30.11.2020.

Faced with difficult life and study situations, students can turn to the central Student Advising Service (ZSB) for help. In the current situation, this may include psychological and social stress as well as study difficulties associated with the coronavirus pandemic and the closure of the University. Students are encouraged to contact the ZSB by phone or by email at if they are experiencing difficulties.

Overview of all information and advisory services at Bielefeld

back to top